I'm in a writey kind of mood this morning so I'm gonna bust out this sidelined runner's race review. I sadly and with much much much angst did not get to participate. My drop-bag was packed with my race shoes and clothes and I was incredibly tempted to strap up and tough it out. Pre-race time I had my right shoe (this is my broken air-cast foot) out in my hand ready to lace up. My foot doesn't hurt so long as I don't do any lateral movement I kept thinking to myself. My friends and team mates will help me along when it does and the cold will probably squelch most of the foot pain anyway. However, the prospect of re-breaking the foot and this time having the bones move out of place, require a surgery I can't afford to fix, and being sidelined even longer helped me put my shoe where it belongs, back in the bag where it stayed for the rest of the day.
Doing some research on the Funky Monkey. The monkey bars are slick from mud and water. The challenger first climbs up at about a 35 degree angle for 25 ft, and then back down at the same angle another 25 ft over a 5 ft trench of icey water. This was one of the most physically demanding obstacles (devilishly placed a mile from the finish) and I would say maybe 30 % of the people made it across. I saw exactly one female make it. She was smart, tough, and wiley enough to throw her legs up to spider climb across. This was also a tactic some guys used that worked well. I discovered that it is much easier to swing across the wood beams than to use the slick bars. Also, that's me in the walking cast dead center.
We had almost an hour and a half to kill before team BYOBadass could charge. There was a celebrity keg toss where you can launch empty kegs at the likenesses of Justin Bieber, Harry Potter and the Incredible Hulk. There was plenty of food and swag for sale. There was a ridiculous costume contest. So speaking of the dress for the day, most popular thing to wear was any and all types of compression gear. It won't hold water and will keep in some marginal warmth. Anything cotton is a poor choice as it will weigh you down and provide no real warmth from the cold. The temp wasn't too bad, somewhere in the high 40's for race time, but the wind was fierce and sucked the warmth right out of everyone. The other most popular choice of clothing, none at all. There were hundreds of people in little more than their underwear, and some literally in only underwear and shoes. Hey, less is more right?
My favorite costume was of course my good friend Brian and his home made daisy dukes, belt buckle, and Uncle Sam tuxedo t-shrt!
I understand that Tough Mudder is not a race but a challenge.
I pledge to put team work and camaraderie before my course time.
I do not whine, kids whine.
I help my fellow mudders complete the course.
I overcome all fears.
Que the orange smoke bomb, time to run.
AJ and I managed to hobble around to about half the course. The TM course at Badlands was winding, hilly, rocky, sandy, muddy, and waterlogged. A good portion of the 12 miles was run through flooded forest swamp. Everything else was a constant up and down with very little flat land. It did serve a benefit of cutting down on the heat sucking wind through the main part of the course (or so I've heard). It was very windy at "Walk the Plank" and all the obstacles in the start/finish area: Funky Monkey, Electroshock Therapy, Mt. Everest, Firewalker, and several mystery surprise obstacles. There were definitely more obstacles on the course than on the official map. I will now show you the course in a series of pictures.
Course Shots
Berlin Walls and Dolan's Balls (my daisy duke wearing buddy is spread eagle on the back wall here)
Bekkah was fierce!
Funky Monkey (Some people climbed on top and walked over)
Barbwires and mud.
Claustrophobic much? Nice VFFs
Just brutal! That neon green stuff is ice!
Chernobyl Jacuzzi. There is a semi trailer full of ice parked next to these all day to make sure it stays nice and cold for everyone.
Live wires above!
Props to this dude and group, they carried that kettlebell the whole way, and those backpacks are just 60 lb. weights!
Still happy and smiling 1/3 of the way through. This is immediately before the jacuzzi =)
This dude is dedicated. That is the TM pledge inked on his back, yes it is real, and he is a TM legend.
Walk the Plank
Swim it out Dolan! Challengers had the option to get out right after walking the plank, or to swim 50 yds. Most people got out.
And of course, THE MUD!
There were many more obstacles undocumented here. Everyone who completed this has had nothing but great things to say about it. TM people are great people. Everyone extended a helping hand to others. It was very much about team work and camaraderie. Even people who came and ran without a team, felt like they were on a team because of the outreach of everyone else. I would highly recommend it and officially throwing down the gauntlet for anyone to come out and run with me in March. My foot will be stronger than ever and ready to deliver a swift kick to this TM course's ass!





















I did it on Saturday. Went out with the 1120 group. As you said, teamwork and camaraderie was awesome. We picked up a straggler before we took off and the three of us helped each other through it all. Awesome time.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck in March.
dude! That race looks like so much fun! I considered doing it here in CA, but passed for another muddy and not so hardcore one. That must not have been easy to put your shoes away for this. Hope you heal real fast so you can get back out there!
ReplyDelete