Monday, January 16, 2012

A personal best 13.1

I've not been a good blogger this year, or for the past month, but I've been battling some inner demons. Really good news on that front and a much more in depth and heartfelt post to cover that topic later. The good news is I'm winning the fight.


This is me 1/4 mile from the finish at the Eagle Creek Trail Daze in December.

The real reason for this post is to recap a new running personal best for myself. Until this past September, I hadn't been a runner since I ran track my senior year in high school. I competed in the 1600 and 3200, mostly because I'm not a sprinter and no one else wants to do those races. And that was the one and only season of running I ever had. I wound up with stress fractures from chronic shin splints. I can look back now and know for a fact I was over-striding, causing over-pronating, causing shin splints. Heavy heel strikes didn't help the cause either. Ultimately the injuries were season ending and what I thought to be a running career ending stress fractures in both legs. I could barely walk for months. Back then I hit a PR of a 5:14 1600 and a 12:13 3200. The longest distance I ever ran was 9 miles in practice. I was never one to go for a long weekend run on my own. I didn't have the zeal for it back then. I was only doing it so I could letter in sports and to have fun with my friends, both things I achieved.

So this past Saturday I met up with 37 other runners who are all competing in or part of organizing the Planet Adventure Winter Quarter/Half/Full Marathon. I will be running the half. We all met up to give the course (a 6.55 mile loop) a daytime run through as this is a night race! My B goal was to finish one loop at a good pace then assess what I had left in me for a few more miles. My A goal was to do two loops and prove to myself I could finish 13.1. I headed out in the front of the pack couldn't hang with the head group of 8 or so runners, and found myself somewhere in the middle of the first and second pack. At one point I needed to wait up for the second group of runners since several of them were carrying detailed maps. Eagle Creek is full of criss crossing trails and I wasn't sure where to make a few turns to stay true to course. I fit in great with the second pack of 3 other men. We made a few wrong turns and finished the first lap at 6.8 miles in 1:08. They were great company and made running seem like a breeze. I was pretty happy with this pace, felt great after finishing like I was strong enough to get at least to 10 miles in. I stopped for about 10 minutes to chat with other runners who were calling it a day and started to get cold as my sweat dampened layers chilled. It was only 23 degrees out and the daylight was fading.

I headed out for a second round thinking I would get in at least 4 more miles in a shortened loop I developed in my mind. It was tough to get going after losing my core heat, but before I knew it my Garmin told me 11 miles were down. I was started to feel energy sapped at this point and had to set little goals along the way to stay motivated and moving. Run 5 minutes and walk one. Run a quarter mile, then another, then walk a minute. Twelve miles came and went and I was close to being back. At this point my glutes, abs, and hip flexors were burning. At least I know my form was good. I got back to the car at 12.5 miles and decided it could gut a .3 out and back just to reach that nice even half marathon finish. I ran every step of that last .6 and let out a loud and rowdy howl when I finished for a total run time of 2:17. Not bad for a first time. Looking back, I loved every step of those snow covered trail miles (even the sloshy marsh ones). I walked to my car, hunched over and much to my surprise a few tears came steaming off my face along with an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and gratitude for life. I did a little Tebow, thanked God for the ability to do something like this, and wiped the tears from my brow. This is only the first milestone of many, but one I will remember.

Can't wait to see those trails lit up with 500 runners and their headlamps at night!


2 comments:

  1. Hey!! Guess what!? I'm signed up for that race too! It's 3.5 hours from my house so I'm having to drive a little ways but I've been on that course before and loved it! I ran a 13.1 on it back in the summer. Wow was it a hot day! Anyway, I had some questions about the course, how muddy it was, etc? I have trail shoes of course but wanted to make sure that those'll get the job done. I'm pretty excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coy, it's a different course from the Summer marathon. I had some friends that ran that and they had the same thing to say about the heat that day. Anyway, this time it's a 6.55 mile loop all on the East side of the water in the main park. They did a good job of planning and skipped most of the spots that are always muddy. However, it will all depend on precipitation this week. I was out there last night and there are some spots that will get your feet wet. Everything is runnable though! You can wear trail shoes or road shoes and will be just fine. Just make sure you have a good light, there are plenty of roots to trip you up in some sections of the loop.

      Delete