I would also happily be granted the legs of Scott Jurek. I do however have my ceremonial running robes ready for the event. Seriously, I washed my compression tights and favorite running shorts. I usually just hang them up to let the sweat dry and put them right back on the next day. This guy will be so fresh and so clean come race start. No worries, I'll be back to my filthy, sweaty, stinky self race end.
My B goal is to finish sub 2:10 and C goal is sub 2:15. I honestly expect myself and know myself to be perfectly capable to achieve B goal, but who knows what the trail conditions will be like and it's my first race of that distance. It's supposed to rain more tonight and stay just above freezing which could make for some really muddy conditions and hence a much slower course. Also, there will be an additional 499 people on the 6.55 mile loop with me, so an entirely new experience. In all likely hood, having 499 other people running with me is going to make me faster. It's kind of like when you're running down a desolate road and suddenly a car or another runner comes along, you can't help but pick up pace just a bit. On the other hand, there are a few single track sections where passing simply isn't possible. So hence the C goal.
On the drinking front, I'm 50 days sober and down to one class left in my recovery class. Despite the cost, I plan to keep attending at least one day a week anyway along with an AA group or two. Last night I got to share my story with the group. I shared the whole narrative, from the seduction and the fun times, to the when it became a problem, how it affected my life, the wake up call, and why I'm sober now. I went on for a good 20 minutes and know I could have shared so much more. It's like I was only able to give the cliff notes version. I had even been rehearsing the story all week, trying to get in all the details, knowing I was going to have the chance to share with the 40 other people. I didn't have to do this, but I wanted to. In doing so, I've been reminded of all the terrible decisions I have made under the influence. The behaviors I once would have condemned that had become so casual in my life. I've yet to share the worst, but there will be a time and a place. The story is ever evolving as I remember and recognize and as I hear other's stories and say, "Oh shit! Yeah, I did that too." Telling my story is probably more for me than anything else, a reminder of why I don't want to drink.
The story I shared in my previous post, An Alcoholic Running to Recovery just in case you missed, was a beginning and an acknowledgment. It's funny, when I started writing the post, I had no intention at all of doing anything more than recapping the run, but it happened and I am grateful that it did. More importantly I am grateful for the outpouring of support from everyone who read.
I will keep on writing, hopefully with some meaning and humor, and hopefully in a way that might reach out to others. I love personal stories of the tribulations of life, this blog will be mine.
One of the stranger things about being sober is that I've remembered I like pop music from time to time and am ok with admitting it. I absolutely admit I like LMFAO despite all logical reason telling me I shouldn't. You've probably all seen the Elmo parody by now, but it makes me smile. So happy Friday everyone!

Don't feel alone with liking LMFAO, I've heard lots of guys that like it. I think they're funny.
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great race tomorrow! I plan on leaving KY about 1 to head that way for it. Is it snowing? I'm sorta wondering about what to wear??
I'm not sure on a time frame. My main goal is to finish and enjoy myself.
No snow, it's raining lightly. The trails we are running drain pretty well so it won't be too bad. There is one .5 mile of marshy trail that never dries out until June. It supposed to be just below freezing around race time, but pretty calm, so good running weather as far as I'm concerned Don't forget your headlamp!!!
DeleteI just found you, I am an ex party girl turned runner but I've never had an issue with drinking. smoking - it'll be one year quit in march :) however, my father was an alcoholic and he is actually dead now. I think this blog is a really good idea. I hope you remain sober. I always think that if my dad found running he may have felt a lot better about himself. That's why I brought it up. cool platform, I admire your courage for making the change :D xo
ReplyDeleteAli, I'm glad you found me! Now I've found you too. I've been looking for other people who have turned to running and fitness to overcome addiction to anything unhealthy. That's awesome and inspiring that you are coming up on a year, makes it seem all the more possible for me. I will be sure to follow you at your blog runningwithspatulas.com By the way, I really love the blog theme.
Deletethanks Josh....I think it's easy to give something up if you get "addicted" to something new ;) so whenever I want to smoke (a cig or joint ;)) I just go for a run instead.
DeleteHave a good weekend xo