Before the plunge. Notice how the rescue workers are dressed.
The day has arrived and I survived. Still have 10 fingers and 10 toes and a few hours later I'm able to type this, a success it was. I had been interested in doing an official Polar Plunge this Winter just to do something different and a little crazy. The first thing that came up on my Google search was an event held close to my home and for a great cause, the Indiana Special Olympics. Most people probably don't realize that it's not free to participate in these games. While many families may be able to pay for their loved ones, there are many more who cannot and deserving people who could benefit greatly from being a part of the Special Olympics.
The kids and I pre-costume change and plunge.
Kids and the Polar Plunge Bear.
I decided to test my body heat armor theory by running the 5 miles from my house to the beach where I would later be charging the frozen water. I was warm after the first mile, the sun was shining, the wind was calm. Then I hit the lake and suddenly there was a constant 30 MPH wind. I figured I would register and hit some trails to keep the warmth until dip time. Nope, I needed to wait in line with several hundred other people to get registered (my only complaint of the entire event). They should have formed lines by last name like most packet pick ups for bigger races and events. But, they did a great job anyway and everyone there was a volunteer or fundraiser. I raised $175 dollars for the Special Olympics. Everyone was supposed to raise at least $70 to participate. A big thank you to all the event volunteers, everyone was friendly and helpful and made sure to thank all the fundraisers for taking part.
Stripping down and showing off those pasty runners legs. I am not photogenic. I'm also pretending it's not cold.
Eventually everyone got registered and the events were under way. There was a costume contest, but I skipped out despite dressing up. Everyone who was doing the contest was part of a team and I didn't want to be the only solo. And one other thing, Miss Indiana and Miss Indiana teen where the contest judges. Parading around in Daisy Dukes being judged by beauty pageant winners was not on this runners agenda. Next year there will be a Daisy Duke squad! The contest winners were four guys dressed up like professional wrestlers: Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage, and some unknowns. Second place was a family dressed up like loofahs. The dad gave my props and threw me knuckles for the daisy dukes.
Saluting the crowd (summoning courage).
Onward to the plunge. I was grouped with some other solo dippers. They put everyone in a big tent out of the wind, grouped us off by teams, and sent us out in waves to hit the water. Official reports were the water was as cold as it gets, 33 degrees. Topped off with temperatures in the 20's and 30 mph winds, this polar plunge was no joke. Some people only got in to there midsections. I made sure to dive under water twice. Your brain literally turns off when you are that cold. I couldn't figure out which direction to go once out of the water and only knew I wanted to run, get some pictures, and get dry. The sun felt like a warm blanket and as my skin warmed up it felt like I was being poked by a million needles. Honestly, I didn't hurt. The whole experience was a lot of fun and I'm proud to have been a part. Next time I want you there with me representing the Daisy Dukes.
CHARGE!
Proof I made it under water, look for the splash and the foot sticking out.
Shaking it off, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
Just keep running, just keep running, just keep running.
Thanks for reading!
It was cold. I nearly froze and I did not even get wet...the joshofall photogragher of the day
ReplyDeleteThanks for being the photographer/kid wrangler of the day. Really glad you guys came.
DeleteOMG you're crazy!
ReplyDeleteYou had to be sooooooooo cold!! I have a friend that jumps for the Special Olympics and this year he and his wife dressed up as sock monkeys! He said that the outfit makes you wanna just sink to the bottom :)
ReplyDeleteYou are way more of a man than me!! I hate the cold but have always wanted to see if I had the balls to do one of these.
ReplyDelete