This was the only Turkey I saw, stuffed in the nature center which turned out to be a nice warm place to use the bathroom and change out of my soaking wet clothes before driving home.
This was my farthest distance ever in my Merell Trail Gloves and they did the job perfectly. I did find they are not very good on wet rocks and slippery wet wooden stairs. But I'm not sure anything is. They dried very quickly, didn't hold any water in at all. The only two times I fell, I was thinking distinctly about how great I was doing not falling on both occasions. The first time was on the last down step of a wooden staircase. The second spill came right after mile 13 on some wet rock and put me knee deep in a creek of ice cold water. After wading through 32 degree water for what felt like the 7th time on a sub 40 degree day, my legs said "enough!" So I walked the final mile back to the car. It was a great run, but I could see how during heavier tourist days it would be almost impossible to run here with all the traffic and limited trail space. Well that and not all of the terrain is actually runnable; wet rocks, boulders, roots and the hills! Did I mention the hills? I gained 1700 ft and lost 1700 ft over the course of 14 miles. My hill mantra was "Holy Hills Batman" over and over again on every hill and every stair case. With plenty of connecting trails it is a great place to run when the they are your own and an absolutely gorgeous gem of a state park in Indiana.
The Turkey Run Trail System.
The Trails which I ran.
Sugar Creek. Covered Bridge at a distance
Entrance to the covered bridge. I totally broke the rules and ran.
Boulder Canyon found on trail 9. It's much steeper than it appears and one of those "unrunnable" sections of trail. But it was fun and I imagined myself as a mountain goat jumping from rock to rock.
Some of the lovely creek beds I ran, hopped, waded, hiked. Yes, the creek is the trail.

The ladders! This part was really cool, and really dangerous being as though I was soaked from rain and mud.
Punch Bowl, this would be fun to play in if it were hot out. Being sub 40 and not directly on the trail. I just gazed in awe.
One of a few waterfalls I ran by.
Gobble Gobble, The End!
Bonus Video Footage of the ladders...they were really cool. I was excited when I saw them.
Bonus Video Footage of the ladders...they were really cool. I was excited when I saw them.














Hey Josh!!
ReplyDeleteThose pics look so great!! You live in a great spot for trail running. Do you ever follow Fast Cory? He has a blog that's dedicated to trail running and all the pics he takes running them out in Utah. Sometimes I wished I lived out west so I could go trail run in the mountains.
On March 10th (day after my birthday) I'm running a trail race in KY, Land Between The Lakes. Have you heard of it?? Might be worth checking out. There are a couple of different distance options.
I have a friend (www.hoosiertrailrunner.com/) who is doing the Land Between The Lakes Marathon! He also ran the Winterfest full Marathon when we did the half a few weeks ago. I will have to look up fast Cory and check out this Land Between the Lakes event. Indiana wouldn't be my first choice for trail running, but if you are willing to look there is always some beautiful trail somewhere close by.
Deletethis is amazing!!!and I would love to run this trail.....I also love wild turkeys, most people hate them, I love em. I think your pics were awesome!
ReplyDelete